Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I am back

Hello I am back. I have been kind of busy, it happens in a war zone. One small and lame reason I have not posted for a while was I lost my personal USB memory stick. Usually I carry it all the time so when I have an ideal to post I can open up a word document and start typing away or resize images. When I go out on a mission and that has been happening more lately, I usually clean out my pockets and take out personal items to leave back in my room. Also I get kind of anal retentive or OCD about packing ammo, GPS, map, spare power bars, knives and mission related items. So when I came back I could not find my memory stick; I ripped apart my section of the room. So guess what happened? I lost my memory stick and went ape shit for a few days.

I have been working with the Afghans and I have come to the conclusions that most have a complete different set of values. If something does not happen or goes to shit, it is not somebody’s fault or responsibility. It is “ishmal Allah” or God wills it. It is frustrating and I feel sorry for the interpreters who are stuck in the middle between a US soldier and the Afghan National Army, Police or Border Police.

It is a trip to go in to a village or even Kandahar city because if you took away the cars, bicycles, Jingle trucks and cell phones, this place would have look the same as it did a thousand years ago.

Also it a land of extreme contrasts here. You will see an old man on a cart being pulled by a donkey yakking away on a cell phone or a herd of sheep moving out of the way in a village with dirt streets for a Lexus SUV with gold trim and pimped out rims. You can drive by mud huts and then see a palace that looks like it came off the strip in Las Vegas.

We go rocketed a few weeks ago, but big deal. It is harassment fire. The real big news that murder bombers are being imported. 90% or more Afghans hate them. Ask them and they say rightly that all they kill is civilians. They are right. US forces have the means to fight them. Civilians are just Taliban and al Qaeda collateral damage. One of the interpreters I worked with said if he sees an empty taxi, he runs away.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A store on the side of the road.

Quote for the day: This has been an extreme exercise of futility. Let’s do it again tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Hey, glad to hear you're back.

I've heard a lot of similar thoughts regarding the mindset of "Allah wills it" from guys in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Its a pretty big obstacle to standing up an Army when every time shit happens, they shrug their shoulders instead of doing something to fix it.

Interesting picture; looks pretty desolate.

12:44 AM  
Blogger kateykakes said...

Nice to read you again.

How long before you get to come back home to the States?

Looking forward to your next blog entry.

Please be safe out there.

8:46 PM  
Blogger GunnNutt said...

Hooray! It's great to see a post from you, B.

I'm glad to hear the Afghans aren't sympathetic to the terrorists.

1:32 AM  
Blogger David M said...

Glad to see you are back!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home